16 February 2011

They Called Themselves the KKK : The birth of an American terrorist group by Susan Bartoletti Campbell

This title presents a perfectly accurate and unembellished account of life during the formation of the Ku Klux Klan.  While at times gritty with details, this is an unflinching look at the ideas of the nation during this time from all sides -- black, white, rich, poor, and political.  Susan Campbell Bartoletti seems to be the best at grasping slivers of American history and putting the words and pictures on paper that will glean the most understanding of the topic; she succeeds with The Called Themselves the KKK.  I listened to this brief book on audio, so I didn't have the included images, pictures, and visual representations in front of me, but I can only imagine how well they enhanced the text.  But I can also imagine that the visuals were unnecessary because the spoken text captured me fully.

Recommended to readers of every size and all ages, especially those with an interest in historical storytelling.
Call number: YA 322.4 BAR; YA CD 322.4 BAR (Teen Room)

Reviewed by kate the librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?