21 October 2009

My Name is Jason. Mine too: Our Story. Our Way. by Jason Reynolds and Jason Griffin.

My Name is Jason. Mine Too. tells the genuine story of two men -- black/white, poet/artist -- struggling to get by and find some food and some happiness in a world of creativity. Drawings and words mingle together to lead the reader through a real life experience of what it's like to have a dream, but not necessarily a plan.

This is my favorite poem from the pages in this book; it reminds me of an artist friend of my own, and sometimes of myself, too:
It's so hard
To explain to people
The beauty in brokenness
The scarring in sweet salvation
The lovely lacerations
Of the unlimited
Unlaminated
Illuminated
Few
Who dare to do don'ts
Miss a few meals
But will to do won'ts
While well-to-dos
Whisper questions
Regarding
Who I think I am
And who they think I should be
I laugh and hope
They leave
Me alone
Because it's just
So hard
To explain to people
That my life
Is not unhard
But not unhappy
--[from My Name is Jason. Mine Too: Our Story. Our Way.]
Visit the authors online, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?